EXTERNAL WALL INSULATION (EWI)
Do you have an old property with solid walls (no cavity) ?
Do you have old tired solid existing render?
What is External insulation?
External wall insulation involves fixing a layer of insulation material to the wall, then covering it with a special type of render (plasterwork) or cladding. The finish can be smooth, textured, painted, tiled, panelled, pebble-dashed, or finished with brick slips.
- It can be applied without disruption to the household does not reduce the floor area of your home
- It will renew the appearance of outer walls.
- It will improve weatherproofing and sound resistance.
- It fills cracks and gaps in the brickwork, which will reduce draughts.
- Increases the lifespan of your walls by protecting the brickwork.
- Reduces condensation on internal walls and can help prevent damp (but will not solve rising or penetration damp).
- It is best installed at the same time as external refurbishment work to reduce the cost.
- It may need planning permission – check with your local council.
- It requires good access to the outer walls.
- It is not recommended if the outer walls are structurally unsound and cannot be repaired.
Is External Wall Insulation an Option Worth Pursuing?
So, in summary, there are a number of issues to be addressed prior to installing external wall insulation, but the benefits are numerous, including:
- Reducing heat loss and energy bills
- Reducing draughts and increasing the sense of comfort
- It does not disrupt the house while being installed
- It does not reduce internal floor area
- It allows walls to contribute to thermal mass (the ‘tea cosy’ effect)
- It improves weatherproofing and sound resistance
- It increases the life of the wall
- It reduces condensation on internal walls
- can be used to cover over old solid existing render (saving removal of old render)
Here at Mr Smooth Plastering Ltd, we can work with various manufacturers of Ewi systems, offering a wide range of systems, from very old properties, to more modern properties we have a system to suit all types. Or even carry out to a spec provided.
If you’d like more information on the different systems available, advice on what system would be best for your property, or just some questions you may have regarding Ewi please contact Mark via details on the contact page!